Packing the hospital bag was one thing, but preparing for life at home postpartum was a whole other story. THINGS are going to hurt. I heard about how tough it was going to be, so I tried to anticipate what would be helpful in addition to what I could get from the hospital.
My hospital provided me with several pairs of mesh underwear, a handful of large pads, and a peri bottle as part of my postpartum care kit. Because of what I already had at home I didn’t really feel the need to stock up on extras from the hospital. Plus, every hospital is different, so I would encourage you to stock up on whatever you feel works for you.
After getting the all-clear from my doctor at my postpartum checkup I realized I had a pretty smooth healing process, and I owe a lot of it to these products. I can’t recommend them enough!
- The Honey Pot Postpartum Herbal Pads with Wings – If I could recommend one product that has to be part of your postpartum recovery this would be it! My sister first told me about The Honey Pot brand, so when I looked into trying these for my recovery I was stoked to find they made ones specifically for postpartum! These pads are infused with mint, aloe, and lavender making it feel nice and tingly down there, which definitely helped with the pain! I bought these, the overnight ones, and the pantyliners.
- Frida Mom Postpartum Recovery Essentials Kit – I heard about the Frida Mom line only weeks before my due date, so I snagged this kit for myself. I am so glad I did because it included everything I never knew I needed. This particular kit includes disposable underwear, ice maxi pads, perineal pad liners (witch hazel wipes), and witch hazel foaming astringent. It all comes in a nice little caddy that you can put near the toilet. The ice maxi pads were a godsend that first week when everything was very tender!
- Frida Mom Upside Down Peri Bottle for Postpartum Care – This came with another kit I got plus my hospital provided me with a peri bottle, so I was all set in this department. This was really helpful in keeping things clean and easing pain.
- Earth Mama Organic Perineal Balm for Pregnancy and Postpartum – This stuff is awesome! It definitely helps with healing the backdoor area 🍑 as well as the perineum. It feels slightly cool and tingly when applied which trust me, feels great when you’re healing from birth!
- Collinsonia Root – Speaking of backdoor area healing… my nutritionist added this supplement to my healing protocol and whoa did this clear some stuff up!
- Colace Regular Strength Stool Softener – The postpartum poop struggle is a very real thing. The hospital had me take these during my stay, and I continued to take them until I had my first couple of post-baby poops.
- Squatty Potty – Between this and the stool softener, the first postpartum poop was a lot less scary. This helped reduced strain when trying to do business, and let me tell you when you’re healing from tears near that area anything to reduce strain is welcome.
- Thinx Period Panties – When recovering from pregnancy, you’re basically on the equivalent of your period for several weeks. Wearing pads every single day for weeks gets old (you can’t wear tampons or menstrual cup), so wearing these panties are a nice break. They may be pricey but to me they’re a worthwhile investment. I got them way before pregnancy and between these and my menstrual cup I don’t ever have to worry about purchasing feminine hygiene products for my period ever again.
- Dry brush and jade roller – I had postpartum swelling and both of these helped reduced the swelling and puffiness.
Next time you’re invited to a baby shower, do your friend a solid and put together a postpartum care basket for her. 💕