Happy Fall and Happy October! I’ve got a yummy fall-type (and geeky) recipe to share with you today.
A few weeks back my lovely sister-in-love, Tiffany, posted a photo of another culinary creation on her Instagram: Pumpkin Pasties. Yes, she created one of the many delicious treats from the Harry Potter universe. I asked for the recipe, she did me one better and told me to come over (and bring eggs).
She made both regular ones and gluten-free ones just for me. I brought the gluten-free ones to work the next day, and everyone loved them. Here’s the recipe!
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pasties
For the dough:
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 5 cups flour (she used King Arthur Gluten-Free Flour)
For the filling:
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
For the cinnamon sugar topping:
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat over to 350℉
- Make the dough by combining the ingredients from top to bottom.
- Roll out the dough and using the empty can from the pumpkin puree (or anything circular), cut out dough into circles.
- Place circles on a greased cookie sheet.
- In a bowl, whisk the filling ingredients together. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of filling onto every other circle.
- Cover the filled circles and a use a fork to seal them.
- Use a pastry brush to brush the tops of the circles with the milk. Sprinkle some cinnamon sugar on top (to taste).
- Bake the cookies for 10-15 minutes, or until the edges start to turn golden brown. Remove from the oven and let them cool for 10 minutes before moving to a wire rack.
Tiffany’s recipe was inspired by these two: